CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS
Are you someone with a strong current or past connection to East Portland’s Jade District? Unit Souzou, a taiko ensemble based in Portland, is seeking participants for our current project RHYTHM: Walking to the Heartbeat of our Community. We’d like to hear your stories to document this unique time and share how the Jade District community is experiencing and imagining safety as a result of experiences over the past year.
ABOUT THE INTERVIEWS
We are seeking community members with strong connections to the Jade District to participate in interviews over Zoom or by phone. We would like to talk with people who…
- Have a strong connection to the Jade District either currently or in the past. Examples of a strong connection would be living/growing up, working, or going to school in the neighborhood.
- Represent a wide range of identities in terms of age, race/ethnicity, life experiences.
- Are willing to share memories, stories and thoughts about the neighborhood and pedestrian safety in a 45 – 60 minute interview by Zoom or phone with Unit Souzou. Interview questions might include:
- What’s a strong memory of East Portland?
- What are you thinking about while being out in the neighborhood?
- Are there things you are afraid of right now? Are there things you are avoiding?
- How are you moving through the neighborhood differently than in the past?
Compensation: Interview participants will receive a $40 gift certificate to a Jade District business (5 – 6 options will be provided such as restaurants and grocery stores).
Dates/Times: July – September 2021. Specific dates and times will be scheduled with participants. Interviews will last 45 – 60 minutes.
Interviews will be recorded and collaged together to create a quilt of audio and video. This will be featured in a public event on October 9, 2021. Participants can remain anonymous. Interviews will be conducted in English.
If you are interested in participating, please fill out the short interest form here.
If you have questions about this opportunity, please contact Michelle Fujii from Unit Souzou at firstname.lastname@example.org, 503.333.2158 (cell/text)